May 31, 2009

Chapter Seventeen

Her hand curled into a fist as she strode quickly towards the reception, which he stood leaning over obviously interested in the petit receptionist.

Jesus Christ, why here, why me?

“What are you doing here?” damn that came out too fast, and too harsh as Sarah’s brow winged to her forehead.

Jon snapped his head up and stood as he grinned broadly. “Why hi baby, I thought I’d come and surprise you.” He walked towards her and she clicked her teeth, the overwhelming urge to wipe that sly grin off his face was calling to her.

Don’t lose it, god be calm. Be calm.

She snaked her arms around his waist and tilted her head to meet his eyes. They were dancing with that damn mischievous gleam that only meant trouble. Their noses bumped as he dragged her in and before she could suck a breath, he pressed his lips hard against hers.

His taste was dark and bold, as the kiss went from reserved to raunchy. His tongue slipped past her barrier and straight into her mouth pulverizing her to the ground she stood on.

He pulled away as their lips popped, and beamed at Sarah. “Always so happy to see me.”

She fussed with her suit jacket, pulling it down straight. “Well it’s just a surprise; you said you were busy today that’s all.” She tried in earnest to lighten her tone, god she sucked at this.

Jon leaned back and picked up the white takeaway coffee cup. “I bought you coffee, I assumed that being your first day back – you’d be busy Darlin.”

His Jersey drawled so easily. How did he get so good at pretending? Maybe it was some sort of performance gene. One she didn’t have.

She took it from him, and took a sip needing the caffeine to stop her body shaking. “Thanks, well come into my office.” Out here they may as well of pitched a circus tent and sold tickets, she needed him away from all in sundry.

“Sure babes, nice to meet you Sarah, and don’t forget we’re playing back here in a few weeks. I’ll make sure Callie gets you the tickets.” Callie rolled her eyes as his boots and Sarah’s fuck me now laugh, followed her to her office.

She closed the door firmly behind him, turning ready to give him what for – but stopped.

When was the last time, someone bought her coffee? Was he being genuine here or a pain in the ass?

“The art to a good performance Cal, is the element of surprise. You were caught off guard, so it’s believable that way.” He picked the large wooden framed picture of her family and turned to her.

“Well?”

What she was speechless now? Good grief. She walked around to her chair and sank down in it. “I wouldn’t know about performing Jon.” She fumbled for her pen and flipped open her folder. “I’m very busy.”

“More like embarrassed.”

She snapped her head up, “What ? What am I embarrassed about?”

He plopped himself down in the chair, leaned back and propped his boots up on the corner of her desk. “You’re embarrassed for me to be here, admit it. It’s fine. It’s just who you are.”

Her eyes grew wider, “No I’m not!” she defended a little too quickly. Christ, of course she was embarrassed. She didn’t want to be, but he stood out like a sore thumb in this place.

He chuckled and shook his head. “You are Callie, but it’s alright. It’s how your daddy taught you to look at the world.”

Why she ever thought this could work, she had no idea. “Excuse me?” She swung back her coffee and took a big gulp wishing it was laced with something hard, like whiskey.

He folded his arms behind his head, his eyes locking on hers. “Just because I don’t dress like all the rubber necks around here and have a steady career, yet... doesn’t mean I am any less than you or anyone else in this office.”

“Jon, that’s not what I think.” God, it wasn’t was it? Was she so far up her own ass that she honestly thought this?

“Really? Because I don’t believe you. As I said babe, it’s ok. You’ll get to see how the other half lives now, the half that has dreams that they’ll do anything to achieve.”

She closed her eyes and wished she could count to ten. “Who the hell do you think you are Jon? You know nothing about me and what I want out of life.” She stood from her chair letting it roll back and hit the wall. “So don’t you dare even suggest I don’t know how to dream? Or work for what I want. I’m working here aren’t I? I’m supporting myself in every way possible. You can’t even get enough money to go and buy yourself a damn burger on a day off!”

She expected him to fire back and he had every right to tell her to go to hell.

But he didn’t.

“But are you happy?”

She stopped and crossed her arms. Dammit, how in the five seconds he’d known her – did he see right through her. She was happy enough, she got satisfaction from her job and it made her money, and it pleased her father – Bingo.

“Yes I am.” The conviction of her words was weak, she knew it. God she hated him.

He snorted, “Even for a lawyer you’re a crappy liar.”

“So now that I care about money and independence over passion, you’re better than me?” she asked.

He cracked his knuckles, “you don’t truly care about those things. You care about what your father thinks and you know it. You’re too scared to rattle the cage.”

She slapped her hands down on her desk, “is this what you came here for? To tell me that because I care about what my father thinks I’m no better than someone that has no passion and no drive in life?” she skimmed her hand over her folder so it flew off the desk and hit the wall.

“Is it?!”

“Oh you have passion babes, believe me you really do. It’s just misguided.”

“Get out now, I want you out of my house when I get home as well! I can’t do this anymore Jon – “

He leapt off the chair, “you’re going to kick me out after a few home truths then?”

She took two steps towards him and pushed him backwards. “You want home truths, I’ll give you home truths. You might make it famous Jon, hit the big time – and people will like you. Hell they’ll love you – but they’ll love what you are – NOT who you are. And then when it all dries up… what will you have then?”

The laughter and joking was all gone. The fire in his eyes could have burned a hole right through her. “I’ll have the comfort of knowing that I tried Callie. I tried to be everything I always wanted, and you know what. I won’t fail. I don’t know how to.”

"I would have tried, that’s what I will have. More than I can say for you.”
Hand connected with cheek, god she needed to stop doing that. “Get out, get out of my office now.”

Jon didn’t get a chance to reply as her door swung open, and Mr Callaghan walked in. Oh god, anything but this right now.

“Callie I need – why hello young man, I don’t believe we’ve met.”

“Mr Callaghan, this is Jon… Jon, Mr Callaghan.” She quickly swooped in and introduced them, watching Mr Callaghan size him up. This day could not get any worse. Seriously.

“Hello sir, pleased to meet you.” Jon shook his hand gracefully and smiled. “Callie’s told me lots about you.”

Mr Callaghan laughed, “I wish I could say the same, seems she kept you a little to herself but I guess that is young love.”

Young love? Yeah right.

“I’m very proud of Callie, and I’m lucky to have her.” The sincerity almost sounded believable.

She had to play along, this was far too important to screw up in front of him of all people. She linked her arm through Jon’s. “And I’m very proud of Jon, he’s going to be a huge rock star someday soon… the band’s first single has done so well already.” She rubbed his arm as he kissed her temple.

“My Callie, always laying it on thick. But she’s right. I am going to be big.”

Mr Callaghan slapped Jon on the back, “now that’s what I like boy, someone with big ideas. I wish you all the best. And with a girl like Callie on your arm, I’m sure you’ll be well looked after.”

Oh Jesus, someone call the academy and nominate this please. This was a-grade cheese.

“Absolutely sir, I have no doubt. And she can already hold her own on some of female fans…” he joked.

Oh stop, now. Please.

“I bet she can, must be hard seeing all those women flaunt over your husband Callie, you’re a brave woman.”

Sure, if he’d stop flaunting over them.

She tightened her grasp around his arm. “I know he comes home to me, that’s all that matters. And the females are what’s going to make his money – it’s the nature of the beast he’s in.”

Jon raised his eyebrow at her. What, he was surprised that she knew how the industry worked?

“See, I am a very lucky man sir and on that, I better get going – leave the wife to get on with her work she is so passionate about.” Jon shot her a glance and then back to her boss.

One more dig before the road huh?

“Well it was nice to meet you Jon, I look forward to getting to know you when we have some of our functions through the year.”

“Likewise,” Callie smiled as he leaned forward, his lips brushing against her cheek. “See you at home baby.”

And he was gone.

“Everything alright?” Mr Callaghan asked.

“Everything is fine, he’s just a little worried about his tour and things. We’ll sort it all out later. Now what have you got for me?” she asked cheerfully, trying to stuff all the emotions swirling around in her head.

Once he left her to it, she slid into her chair and buried her face in her hands. Taking a deep breath she sighed. She hadn’t meant to go off at him like she did, but who the hell was he giving her a psych 101 lesson on her life. Jesus Christ.

The little nagging voice at the back of her mind knew he had some, if not a lot of truth in his statements. It scared her that she was so transparent to him. Something she would have never given him credit for, how to read people.

She liked law, and she was good at it. There was no crime there. Was there? If she wanted to go to medical school, she could do it – sure. The money would be tight as she’d get no support from her father whatsoever and she’d have to work as she studied. But she’d done all the hard years studying, that would just put her back another five to six years.

And was she really a snob, like he’d suggested. Her belly twisted in knots as the conversation played over and over in her head. Would he been gone when she got home? Would this freakin nightmare all be gone away?

God only knows.

2 comments:

Mystery Train said...

Oh God! What a first day back! Poor Callie - I actually felt for her there! As for Jon, he's a brave guy taking her on like that! Why do I have a feeling that he'll still be there when she gets home?!! Great chapter!

Anonymous said...

Oh No, Caliie and Jon take one step forward and two steps back...lol. I cant believe she threw the burger thing back in his face (not nice Callie). Very proud of the way Jon handled himself with Mr. Callaghan, Mr C seemd much more accepting to Jon than Callie's dad.

The way you are writing the emotions of Jon and Callie is amazing. It's like they are on a continuous roller coaster ride up and down. If they ever do make it to they bedroom together they will need a fire extinguisher close by because the mattress will be on fire. Thanks for another great an unpredictable chapter.

Boston-girl