January 13, 2010

Chapter Forty-Seven



Callie clicked the door behind her and dropped her bags, her arms shook and she sat down to regain her composure. She knew seeing him again would be hard, but not this hard. She buried her face in hands and took a deep breath. She could do this, she came here to help him legally so she could do this, and then go home.

God, he looked so good, didn’t he? And he smelled good too, just as she remembered. His blue eyes had sliced right through her, waking old memories that had long been buried. She didn’t need this, she didn’t need to reopen that box she locked away. It just couldn’t happen. She peeled off her clothes and stepped into the shower washing away the flight and the day. She’d grab some dinner and then find Doc, and make a start on compiling their case to see what she was dealing with.

She wrapped the hotel robe around herself and padded into the kitchen, it was a basic room but had all the comforts you needed. She flipped through the room service menu and settled on a burger and fries, and ice-cream for dessert. God, she also had her damn assignment she needed to get finished as well, so it was best she make a start on that while she waited for dinner.

She set out the text books and notes on the desk in the room and set to work. The rap at the door knocked her out of anatomy hell, hell, how many muscles could there possibly be in an arm? She slid out of the chair and unlocked the door expecting to see a man with a tray but didn’t.

“Hey.”

The smile he flashed sizzled down to her toes, “hi—sorry I was expecting room service.” She hugged herself and rolled back on her heels. “Is there something I can do for you Jon?” She hated that she sounded so damn cold but she couldn’t let him in, she wouldn’t. That’s not why she was here.

“Callie, I just wanted to –“he peered over her shoulder, “working already?”

Callie shrugged, “yeah, I’m a little behind. You wanted to what?”

He dug his hands in his pockets and grinned, “Callie...I wanted to talk—well thank you for coming. You didn’t have to.” He held his hand up when she went to talk, “but I’m glad you did. You know I don’t trust easily, but I trust you.”

She nodded, “thanks...I guess I couldn’t stand by and let your career slide over this. Not when I know how much you worked for it.” She tightened her grip around herself, not sure if it was because she wanted to touch him, or to stop herself from shaking.

“I appreciate that more than you know.” He stood aside as the bellhop did arrive and wheeled the cart in. She picked up her purse and handed him some bills.

“Thanks,” once he’d left she rested her hand on the door, she was going to regret this but she couldn’t exactly close the damn door on him. “Do you want to come in, I’ll split my burger with you.”

His lips kicked up and she felt her gut churn, damn it.

“Sure, if you don’t mind.” He closed the door behind them and she lifted the covers on the cart breaking the burger in two she offered him half.

“Thanks, I’m starving.” He sat on the edge of the bed and ate the burger in record time.

“Jeez, Doc not feeding you or something?” She plucked a French fry into her mouth and sat at the table with her half of the burger.

“I forget to eat sometimes, it gets so crazy...”

She lifted her head towards the phone, “order some more then...you may as well eat while you can.” Crap, did you just invite him to stay longer?

“Callie,” his face dropped. She always slid into the easy role of looking after him, she knew it and she didn’t mind it. Damn, she should do though.

“Sorry, I just meant – I’m paying for it so you might as well eat now while you’re sitting still. That’s all.” That’s it, try and sweep it under the carpet like it was an empty gesture. She was failing miserably.

“Thanks, I think I will. Besides, I want to know what’s been happening in your life apart from your father still having you where he wants you.”

She lowered her eyes to her burger and picked out the slither of tomato, “actually. I’m not where he wants me, exactly.”

Fail Two: You told him something personal about yourself. Damn, she couldn’t stand his smug attitude.

His brow winged, “really?” He glanced over at the desk and his eyes widened.

“Med school?” Her heart lurched into her throat as his eyes sparkled bright, the first actual person to get excited over this...god she’d wanted that so bad. So very bad.

She nodded, “yes. I started this year in Jersey.” Her lips curved into smile as she fought the urge to stay neutral and professional.

“Well fuck,” he rested down the remains of his burger and reached for the phone.

“Yeah, hi. Can I have some more fries and a burger and a bottle of your best champagne –ok ok just a reasonable bottle...”

Callie bit her lip, he was excited, someone was actually excited for her.

“Sorry, didn’t want to go overboard since you’re paying... I owe you though... I owe you big time, so what happened? Tell me everything – and how Daddy took it?”

It was completely unprofessional now, but she didn’t care – she wanted to relish that time to gloat, god just to talk to someone that understood. She crossed her legs up under her on the chair and flipped her hair back. “Well, I finally decided enough was enough after-“ you broke my heart. She swallowed as their eyes met. “After everything," she dismissed but the flicker in his eyes told her he’d known exactly what she meant. “I just did it Jon, I had to. I was going insane and Dad, well it took as you’d expect. He’s not happy – and worse, he thinks it’s just a phase I’m going through. “

Jon reached over for a handful of fries. “A seven year phase,” he snorted.
“Exactly,” she sighed. “I’m still doing odd law jobs for him...probably out of guilt.” Why was it she could tell him anything, so freely even though she knew he was about to get angry at her, but deep down he understood.

“Seriously Callie, I know shit about medical school but it’s gotta start getting stressful at some point, you’ve got to say no to him.”

“I know,” she smiled when he looked surprised. “Yes I know you’re right, I’m just figuring it out.”

“God and now you’re here doing this for me, if I’d known –“

“Jon, it’s ok. I wouldn’t be here if I couldn’t handle it.”

He nodded and clasped his hands. “So how is it?”

She smiled, “wonderfully hard.”

He laughed and then nodded. “I’m really happy for you Callie – I mean that.”

“I know, I know you are.” It was because of him she did it, pushed herself to do it at any cost. She’d seen what his music had done to him, and how much joy he got from it despite the being broke, and the hard times. He loved it.

“You’ve changed too.”

She lifted her eyes to his. “I have?”

“You marched in here ready to take over the world Callie, so strong... so firm...that’s not the Callie I knew. You have this shield, no vulnerability at all.”

That’s because you broke my heart.

“I see, well I am a lawyer Jon, sometimes unfortunately for me there is a difference between who I am professionally and who I am personally.” She smoothed down the robe. She didn’t want to get into this now, especially with him.

“It’s sexy.” He grinned as he polished off the French fries just in time for the next lot to arrive along with their champagne. He popped the bottle and poured two glasses, “here—sexy lawyer.”

She smiled and took the glass. “Watch it boy.”

They both stood, “here to Cal—no no, Dr. Callie Richards.” The glasses clinked and they both drank. And damn if Dr Richards didn’t a good ring to it.

“God knows what you’ll be like as a doctor. Handing out that Bad Medicine...”

“God, Jon you so did not just do that!” She snorted through her champagne as they both laughed. God it felt good to laugh, good to feel comfortable again, good to be with him.

Maybe they could be friends after all this? Who would know? She couldn’t go back to where they were, she couldn’t let herself fall into that storm, and as much as she wanted it... she couldn’t. Not after everything that had happened, she wouldn’t open herself back up for that.

“Maybe we were still in tune somehow, you at med school... me writing that song.”
The laugh rolled out of her, “stop it...god. Jon.” They drank the wine and ate, talked like a couple of old friends, it amazed Callie that they could just pick up this so easily.

He stopped, lifted her glass from her and tugged her in close, their lips barely millimetres apart. Her heart pounded against her chest and her belly clenched. It would be so easy to sink right into him, take what she knew she’d missed.

“Callie, I’m –“ She pressed her hand against his chest and pushed him back.

“No, don’t.” She closed her eyes, but he took her hands in his.

“I’m sorry...that’s what I really wanted to say. That’s all.” He lifted her hands to his mouth and pressed his lips against them. “Thanks for the food, I’ll let you get back to your study.”

And like magic, he was gone and she was alone again. In the same damn state as she was when she first came to her room. “Damn you Jon,” she whispered as she slowly sipped the rest of her wine. She couldn’t afford to let him get that close again, she was here to help him...perhaps she’d been wrong about the friends thing. Maybe they really couldn’t be friends without it slipping into anything else, and Callie wasn’t prepared to let that happen.

10 comments:

norwichliz said...

oh, there are DEFINITELY still feelings there! Give it up Callie, you know you want to. You can't hold out against him forever! LOL

Anonymous said...

Finally!

Great chapter. Her cool calm and collective didn't last long. LOL these two are meant for each other. Jon's gonna have to prove he's sorry I think.

Rike said...

they can't be just friends, because they still love each other.

Bayaderra said...

Callie, you can't fight the power that is Jon! Just give up and give in and ENJOY!!!!

Judith said...

ROFLMAO! about the comments above ;)

Yeah it´s going to be hard to resist Jon ;)especially when he tries to win her back.

But she´s changed over the time and Callie is tough and independent now.
Maybe the case with Doc will be a chance for them. It makes Jon vulnerable, and maybe it´s about time he shows her that he too needs someone to realise his dream.
He still has to get rid of Doc...

Finally caught up on this story and read for more! :)

Anonymous said...

She may as well give in now because she's not going to be able to resist him for long.

Vicki

Anonymous said...

It would be much easier to let it all go and go with the flow than to fight it Calle!

Anonymous said...

Callie just hold up the white flag and wave it girl...you know you want to. Impatiently waiting for more...lol.

Anonymous said...

Jon.....Callie....where are you guys. Richie, Dave, Tico..is anyone listening...Doc are you there..(okay now i'm getting desperate...lol). Hurry back please

Y said...

Wow, glad to see the core feelings are still there but Jon has a lot of work to do if he is really serious and Callie has to stop running from her feelings and take charge of her life.
They will be so good together. Can't wait for more.