April 11, 2010

Chapter Fifty-Seven



Callie leaned in and paused, their eyes met and neither of them said a word. She knew this was it, and she knew what Jon was asking of her. He’d been so patient over the last couple of weeks and given her the space but at the same time, they’d fallen back to how they used to be, best friends. It hadn’t really dawned on her until now that’s exactly what their relationship was, in the very best way. Who did you tell your deep dark secrets to in the middle of the night when you could tell no one else? And you supported you in anything that you wanted to do, no questions asked.

It was calculated risk giving her heart back over fully to Jon, but in some ways she knew she already had. She cupped his jaw and nodded, “I want you Jon. Against all odds in my life, between finally being able to study medicine, this is only other thing that has felt right.”

He smiled until the corner of his eyes creased. “It is right. I have never depended on anyone in my life Callie, but god if my life doesn’t depend on you right now.”

“In the best ways?” she asked as she pushed his hair back from his face, god those eyes were clouded with exhaustion.

He laughed and pulled her in close, “in the best way.” He covered her mouth with his letting his heat flood into hers. His hands found her buttons and started to pop them open one by one. She lurched herself forward leaving behind any reservations she may have had left. She wanted him that had to be enough. Between both of their careers in the upcoming months it was insane to try and do this, but she couldn’t bear knowing she’d never tried. That was the old Callie.

And so the age of new Callie had truly begun she thought proudly as she tumbled down against the cushions. His hand hiked up her skirt and his fingers teased along the line of her panties as she arched back and let his mouth dive down her neck to the valley of her breasts. She pawed at the ripped tee-shirt he was wearing and tugged it up over his head.

He nosed her shirt open and sucked his way across the lace till he closed his mouth hard around her nipple. She dug her heels into the couch as he sucked and nipped her into a puddle of sex.

“Jonny...”she breathed as he moved to the other breast, “bedroom...” He looked up and grinned, before scooping her up, wrapping her legs around his waist.

“Bedroom...it is.” He punctuated the sentence with a kiss and squeezed her ass. He was two steps across the room with her when the rap of the door stopped them in their tracks.

“Expecting anyone?”

She shook her head, she seldom got visitors at her apartment apart from her family.

“Callie? Are in you in there?”

“Oh God, its Dad.”

“Shhhh, just pretend you’re not home.” The crash of the lamp behind him blew that idea and made him curse. “Shit...”

“Callie—you ok?”

“He’s got a key Jon and he’ll unlock it if I don’t.” He released her back down to the ground.

“Crap—ok I’ll wait in the bedroom.” He left her there standing half naked, scrambling to button up her shirt and straighten her skirt.

“Coming Dad won’t be a second.” She collected her shoes, tossed them to the side before recomposing herself and opening the door.

“Hi—sorry, I was just starting to get ready for bed.”

Pierce Richards stood there rugged up in cashmere and his face stayed like stone. “I just wanted the files from today. How did you go in court honey?”

Callie raised her brow and stood back letting him in, funny how he only ever used endearments when it was something of his approval. “Fine, as expected. It’s all tidied up now. So I’m done.” She reached over the table for the documents and handed them to him.

“Great, I’ve got the next one lined up for you.”

“Dad, you said that was the last---I’ve got end of year exams just around the corner.”

Pierce held his hand up, “I know, I’m sorry. But the doctor still wants me to slow down, my blood pressure is still up and I need to close out these cases Cal, everyone else is so busy.”

She slapped her hands on her side, “I’m busy Dad. These exams are important. I have to get more than eighty-percent to pass.” Jesus Christ she couldn’t get over him sometimes.

“But you said these were easy cases for you.”

“They are but when I’m not already stressed out six ways to Sunday—“she stopped following her father’s gaze to Jon’s bag sitting squarely at the end of the couch. Complete with two battered cowboy boots beside it.

Damn it.

“Whose are those?”

Callie rolled her lip under her teeth, “Jon’s.” Damn it if she was lying to him, she had to start somewhere.

His brow raised, “I see and what precisely is he doing here?”

“Well I was about to have sex with your daughter when you arrived.” Callie closed her eyes and wished for death as he strode out in just his jeans. He reached over and snagged the top she’d ripped off him earlier that was now draped over the armchair.

“Sir.” Jon held his hand out to him once he’d pulled his top back over his head.

Pierce took his hand and shook it. “I didn’t know you were back in town. Congratulations on your success I read in the papers, I’d enjoy that while it lasts.”

“Oh I will, I plan on enjoying it for about twenty years or so actually.” He said as he perched himself on the arm of the couch.

“Likely.” Was all Pierce commented.

“Jon, can you put the kettle on please?” She asked pleadingly. Jon nodded and shifted up off the couch into the kitchen with a tentative eye still on them.

Her father grabbed her arm and hissed. “What are you doing?”

“Living my life Dad. Jon and I have worked out our differences.”

He chuckled, “till the next girl he screws behind your back,” he whispered.

“Dad, I can handle this.”

“Can you really Callie? Your mother won’t at all be pleased.”

“This isn’t about what my mother thinks, it’s about what you think. It always is. From me trying to become a doctor, you’ve always thought everything I have ever done, if it wasn’t in a courtroom was a joke.”

“Well is it any wonder Callie? We spent thousands of dollars on you becoming a lawyer, and you had the makings of a fine lawyer at that. Then you go off into the sunset and marry this cowboy---who manipulated you to stay married to him to benefit his situation. Finally you get some sense and get rid of him and then you go to medical school---and you won’t be a doctor until at least you’re thirty. It’s insanity! And now........” He motioned towards the kitchen, “he’s back for five minutes and you’re all over him.” He dropped his hands to his side. “Where did I go wrong Callie? Where?”

The bubbling in her gut had started since he walked in the door, the way he looked at her when she said she didn’t want any more work, the way he looked at Jon when he walked into the room like he was nothing more than a bum off the street. It was rising up into her throat so she curled her fingers into fists to stop her from bursting.

“Callie are you ok?” Jon asked.

She held her hand up towards the kitchen. “Take your files Dad, just give me the other files now. I won’t guarantee when I’ll get them done though.”

Pierce reached into his brief. “The court dates due for the 15th so they’ll have to be done then.” He handed her the files and then she opened the door.

“I guess I’ll have that tea another time then.” He wrapped up his coat and strode out the door, stopping to turn looking over her shoulder at Jon and then to her. “I’m disappointed Callie,” and then he closed the door behind him. Callie leaned forward pressed her forehead into the door, she swallowed the angry tears that threatened to burst.

She felt firm hands grip shoulders from behind and a kiss on the top of her head. “Are you ok?” She could have crumbled, right then and there into him and he would have held her. She knew that, but it was a different sensation she felt tingling down her spine. She looked up at the plain door and wrenched it open, files still firmly in her hand.

“Dad!” She called out to the empty stair case. She walked out into the dimly lit landing and stood at the top of the stairs. “Dad!”

“What? Jesus Callie.” Her father appeared at the bottom of the stairs and slowly climbed back up one by one. “What’s wrong?”

“Here.” She handed them out to him and he looked blankly before he took them off her.

“What’s this?”

“You know what Dad? It wasn’t where you went wrong, it was where I went wrong.”

The shock sheeted on his face, “I’m not sure I understand.”

“You have manipulated me for years, ever since you bullied me into being a lawyer just because everyone else was. I was different Dad, I didn’t want to do this but you made it impossible for me not to.”

“Now Callie, that’s not true—“

“Yes it is. I remember the day I told you I didn’t want to be a lawyer and I wanted to study medicine. You nodded, and never said a word. Then all that summer I watched as you ignored me, made me feel excluded in my own family. Chelsea, Michaela and Daryl were your golden children.”

“Now come on, you’re really talking about something that happened years ago? I would have never made you feel like that. You’re my daughter Callie.”

She held her hand up, “no you did. So I went along with it. I went and wasted years of my life, doing something I was good at but I had no heart for it.” She pointed back into her apartment. “Then I met that man, yes it was ridiculous what we happened and I should have never married him like that. It was a huge mistake but my god it was the best thing I have ever done, you know why?”

“Callie, you’re getting all emotional. You need to just calm down and you should not be speaking to me like this. Where is your respect?”

She shook her head and laughed, “No—you’re not making me feel guilty. He was the best thing that happened to me. Watching him do what he loves inspired me, reignited my passion and made me believe in me. When was the last time you believed in me Dad? Or made me believe in myself?”

“Callie, I don’t know what the hell bullshit he’s spinning to you but in my family we don’t talk to our elders like this.”

“You’re not even listening to me!”

“Oh I’m listening, you’re just lucky enough you don’t live under my roof anymore.”

“That makes two of us. I’m done. I can’t do this anymore Dad. I can’t keep working for your approval and your love like this. My medical career is what matters, he—is what matters because he loves me for what I am and what I want to do.” Her hands were shaking so she wiped her cheeks unaware even she had been crying. “I’m going to make a damn good doctor and if you don’t support that, then that’s fine but stop punishing me for it and just be my father.”

He stood there, and Callie knew the look well. It didn’t happen very often, but Pierce Richards had lost this court case. “Very well then.” He turned and walked down the stairs, and didn’t look back. She felt the smile spread on her face, god she wanted to fall apart and cry but she’d done it. She turned around and there standing in her doorway was Jon smiling, his face and his eyes glistened with unshed tears.

She shrugged and smiled, “I did it.”

He took a step towards her, “I’m so proud of you.” He swept her up in a hug and the rush of emotion spilled over as she held on tight pressing her cheek against his shoulder. The tears came and she let them take over, letting her guilt wash away with them.

“I freaking did it.” She murmured holding on tighter as she laughed into his shoulder.

17 comments:

Rike said...

good job, Callie. It was high time. and now go and enjoy the night.

rutpop said...

Oh Callie I know how hard that was but you did the right thing. I am so happy for you!!

Jen said...

I knew she had a spine in there somewhere! Way to put the old man in his place! And YAY for following your heart with Jon <3

Anonymous said...

way to go Callie!! I'm gld she finally stood up to her dad

Anonymous said...

Bravo, bravo-best chapter yet! Thank you for giving Callie a backbone and being able to stand up to her father! Things can only go from good to great between Jon and Callie now!

Bonnie

VictoriaJovi said...

Yeah!!! She finally put him in his place. Now maybe she can enjoy some real happiness. Great chapter.

Anonymous said...

Awww Amazing!
She finally did it. I'm glad SHE did it even though Jon I'm sure would have loved to do it. Now she needs to get Doc off the hook!
Loved it. Very emotional.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that was the hardest thing you've ever done Callie, but bravo...bravo. It needed to be said/done. Respect is a two way thing...your father demands respect but he's not willing to give it.

Like you said, Jon and you didn't start off on the right foot, but you're both there for one another, that's what really counts.

Now, go back in there and celebrate your accomplishment with Jon! You go girl!!!!!

Beth

Anonymous said...

why do I have a feeling her father is going to have a heart attack! Poor callie, just when it gets good, something always drags her down.

Blue Eyed Angel said...

Wooo hooo... so happy for Callie to find the courage to speak her mind.... amazing what the support of a good man can do for your self confidence.... let the celebration pick up where they had left off before "daddy dearest" interrupted!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!! Way to go Callie. That took guts & backbone & you finally got thru to your Dad about how you feel & where you want to go with your life.

I hope Dad doesn't have a heart attack. That would set Callie back months & that would be a shame. She's just finding happiness now!!

Great chapter!! Very emotional but definitely what Callie needed to do. If being with Jon gives her that strength, then he's the best thing that ever happened to her.

Peg

Martine said...

Awsome! I'm so glad Callie finally stood up to her father! Loved it

Anonymous said...

Wooohooo!!!! you did it Callie!!! And I am glad Jon was there to see it and be there to support you afterwards! I think it is gonna be a FANTASTIC night!

Super_Kiwi said...

Holy crap guys.
LOL
Thanks so much, and I'm so glad you guys had a reaction to his one, as I have to say I was emotional writing this one, and I was so proud of my girl for finally doing what she needed to do. *sigh*

Sometimes we all need just something that makes us realize we really can do anything we want to do--and althou she stood up to her Dad on her own, she knew she had the strength of someone else in Jon, to do what she needed to do for herself. And we all want that right?

*muah*

More good stuff coming. But seriously, thank you for the comments and those who are taking the time to read and follow it. Means the world to me.
xx

Judith said...

Finally!!!
I was waiting for that to happen!

You did a great job with this chapter Tres, I´m glad I´ll have time to catch up today... xxx

Kiwigirljbj said...

Loved this chapter!! Yes, I'm finally catching up and re reading LIS and loving it all over again!!

Unknown said...

This has to be one of my most favourite chapters of the whole entire story! Way to go Callie!! Thank god for Jon!! Yay!!