June 22, 2010

Chapter Sixty-Four


"I don't know how I will ever thank you."



Callie smiled, shuffled her papers into her briefcase, and snapped it shut. "You keep to your end of the deal, and we'll call it even." She cinched her jacket at the waist, stood and slid over a piece of paper to Doc.



"Should I get my lawyer to look at this?"



She shrugged, "if you want but it's all very clear, just like we discussed. No hidden clauses and you'll still make enough money that will keep you very comfortable."



He studied the documents and loosened his tie, "wow, you really don't miss anything. Are you sure you want to become a doctor?"



She chuckled, "I'm done with law. I'm good at it, but I'll be an even better doctor.”



Doc's court case had gone smoothly; he'd earned himself 500 hours community work and a sizeable fine for being involved in an amateur drug trafficking operation. His record was clean previously thank god so her case was pretty cut and dried. She was relieved that they hadn't chosen to make an example of him for the wider rock and roll industry, as that too could easily have happened. Now, it was time for him to hold up on his end of the deal.



He raised his brow and nodded. "Somehow, I can believe that. Ok, I'll sign. Is Jonny happy with all of this? It means extra responsibility on his behalf."



"He'll have to sign as well to make it binding, but yes I believe he'll be very happy with the terms outlined."



Doc scrawled his signature and handed the pen and papers back to her. "I was wrong about you, and I'm sorry. Thank you again for what you did."



She tucked them in the sleeve of her briefcase. "You're welcome, I did this for Jon so just be thankful. I care about him that much I had to protect everything he ever worked for because of your stupid decision making, and greed."



That's right, she too could be silver tongued.



He nodded and slipped his hands into his pockets. "I know, but just thank you Callie."



Doc left the empty courtroom, the door crashed on his way out but it was someone coming in.



"Jesus Jon!" She smiled, he'd had to wait outside during the settlement as Callie had negotiated the terms of the agreement with the judge and Doc privately. She shook her head, his suit barely stayed on his shoulders. She dusted down his sleeves as he dragged her in for a quick kiss.



"What happened? It's killing me, am I screwed?"



She traced her fingers down the lapels of his jacket, "you look cute in a suit but it's so not you."



He grabbed her fingers, "Callie, stop being a tease."



She laughed, she didn't have the heart to tease him any longer. "He's off, five hundred hours community service and a twenty-five thousand dollar fine."



His eyes widened and he grabbed her, her feet left the floor as he spun her around. "Thank fuck for that, god, thank fuck for you." His lips smashed against hers and she sighed as his hands drifted to her hips.



She pulled away, her mouth barely from his. "There's more." She brought contract up between them.



He flipped the page and his eyes narrowed. She loved watching Jon go from playful sexy to businessman Jon in an instant. His face fell flat, his eyes scanned the pages, and with the suit it just made cute. His eyes popped and she grinned. "Read the end huh?"



"You've managed to give me sixty-forty control on decisions? And then..." He pointed to the last line, "you've changed the profit margin as well, and how the hell did he ever agree to this?"



"I have my ways---let's just say threatening him with jail, made him very keen to take whatever he could."



"Holy crap! Was he really going to go to jail?"



She bit her lip, "that's what I told him...after I met with the judge I knew what he was looking for and I don't think he ever was planning to send Doc to prison, but I may have left that part out …"



Jon scooped her up close, "do you know how much I freaking love you right now?" He fingered her lip, "you are a bad ass."



"My last duty as a lawyer, had to make it count." She groaned, the warmth of his kiss touched her lips and tingled down to her toes.



He laughed and kissed her nose,” I can’t fuck believe you pulled that off. Marry me."



Her eyes widened, his eyes twinkled with mischief. "Jon, I-"



"Relax, I was teasing Cal," he rubbed her arms and stood back. "C'mon let's blow this joint and celebrate. Sixty-forty baby!"



She smiled, she had to admit seeing him so happy because of something she did was more rewarding than any of her court cases over the years. As for marriage? God, they'd agreed to stay together for now. She couldn't think about marriage right now, she loved him more than anything and she wanted to be with him. Maybe in time they would, and they had grown so much just in the last month together. They were in the middle of crucial parts of their careers and that's what they needed each other for that support right now.



"I could use a drink or two." Jon swung open the courtroom doors and held one for her. She tucked her briefcase under her arm and glanced over her shoulder to the empty room. This was part of her life she was finally leaving behind for good. She'd grown up between these four walls, it had never been a waste, and it just had never been what she wanted to do. She had bled in this room and now it was time to let go. For good.



She reached for the hand that fell on her shoulder, "I'm ready."



They walked through the bustling lobby hand in hand, Pearce Richards stepped in front of them and Callie's heart thumped against her chest. "Dad?" She didn't know what else to say, it had been less than kind the last time they'd spoken. She'd ignored the calls from her mother and her siblings which had been easy with her schedule.



He nodded at Jon and managed a small smile.” I just saw Judge Harrison, he said you did very well."



"Yes, we reached a good deal."



He sank his pockets his long woollen coat. "Are you ok?"



She raised her brow, surprised he would even ask. "Yes, I'm busy with school but doing well. This is my last court appearance."



He rolled back on his heels, "I'm pleased you're doing ok."



She stood taller as Jon squeezed her hand, "is that all? We've got some celebrating to do."



He stood aside, "of course."



Callie tugged Jon's hand and they got to the double doors when he called again.



"Callie, look your mother misses you, she's tried calling you. Why don't you come over for dinner?" He glanced at Jon, "And Jon."



She had meant to call her mother, but as per usual her mother's schedule had got in the way of coming to see Callie for herself. She sighed, "What about you Dad?" She wasn't afraid at the truth anymore. She could take it now.



"Of course I miss you, it's just going to take me sometime to get used to this."



Callie crossed her arms, "Can you Dad? Honestly?" All she ever wanted was his approval but now she knew she didn't need it.



"Of course I do," he rubbed the back of his neck. "I've said some things Callie, I'm not proud of. All I wanted was for you to be the best, you have so much talent. More than your brothers and sisters."



She sighed. "I just don't want to do it anymore. I want to be a doctor, and I’m going to be one."



He managed a small smile. "And you'll be the best."



This was as good as it got for her father to apologize, this was something Callie had wanted to so badly to hear but oddly she didn't feel as proud as she thought she would. It didn't matter anymore, she already believed she would be the best. Her father's sentiments was a nice to have, but not compulsory anymore. "Thank you Dad."



"So you'll come for dinner? Soon? Before Jon goes back on tour next week?"



"How did you--"



"I read the papers Callie, especially when my daughter is concerned."



He would never admit it but that was her father’s way of looking out for her. She glanced at Jon, "sure we'd like to come for dinner."



Pearce smiled. "Great---just call your mother and tell her what day suits you both."



"We will, talk to you soon Dad."



"Does he ever show emotion?" Jon asked as they hit the steps outside the courthouse.



"Nope, he's just not the type. That's as good as it gets." Callie took a deep breath, things would be ok. Her father didn't change his own opinions and ways well but this was something.



"Well hell, I think the old man misses his daughter." He hooked his arm around her neck and kissed her cheek. "Can't blame him really."



She laughed and they climbed into a taxi. She snuggled under his arm and closed her eyes, she was moving on for good. For better, for worse.



*Authors note: Ironic this was Ch64, and Callie's deal for Jon was Sixty/Forty. LOL ;)

5 comments:

norwichliz said...

So Daddy Dearest is finally coming around!

The future certainly looks a lot brighter than it did a little while ago.

Anonymous said...

Very nice! Glad she felt good standing her ground with her father! Time for her and Jon to celebrate!

Anonymous said...

Glad the Dad is finally accepting him. I am hoping he does not screw around on tour. Would be nice to see them make it!

Anonymous said...

Nice chapter but the last paragraph makes it sound like it's the end. I read a post recently that said it would be coming to an end soon, but I'm not quite ready!

Super_Kiwi said...

Thanks guys ;) And yes we are coming to an end for Callie and Jon, two more chapters to go but you'll love them, I promise!

So enjoy, it's going to be hard for me to let go--let me tell you that.

Kiwi