June 14, 2010

Chapter Sixty-Three


Callie squeezed her eyes shut, it couldn't be morning already, could it? Ugh. She rolled over, slipped out of Jon's arm and laughed. His face was mashed into the pillow and he was snoring softly. She wished she could miss her lecture this morning, but she'd made the promise to attend every lecture, and complete every assignment the day she walked on that campus. She couldn't fall behind with Jon and Doc's trial coming up, so it was an easy choice. She slid out of bed, stepped into her jeans and retrieved her top which draped over his dresser. Jesus, she blinked in the mirror. Who the hell was that girl? She touched her swollen lips, and winced. Slashes of red painted the side of her hips, where stairs once were.

It was still early enough, she prayed Carol and John were still asleep as she crept down the stairs. The sun crept up the hallway as the morning came alive. Silence was the goal here, she needed her purse and it was somewhere in the living room, or was it the kitchen? She shook her head as she tip toed across the kitchen floor, this was ridiculous. Was she on a cookie heist? She snagged her purse off the counter, her fingers closed over the strap and victory was near.

"Coffee?"

Oh god. She smiled and turned, John held out a blue mug.

"Thanks, sorry I thought I was the only one up. I've got a lecture at eight." She accepted the coffee and took a sip.

"I'm an early riser." He picked up his own mug and leaned back against the counter. "I didn't expect you to be still alive this morning though."

Her cheeks burned, "oh?" God, for a lawyer she sucked at lying sometimes.

He chuckled, "I thought my son may have killed you last night." He winked and took a sip.

Oh man. "Um--sorry I didn't-" She slapped her hand on her forehead. She wished the ground could open up and swallow her whole. He had such a good humor about him though, if this had been her father---She didn't even want to think about it.

"Relax Callie. It's refreshing to have love-struck teens in the house again."

"Love struck? Well, I guess we are. I'm so sorry, how embarrassing."

He shook his hand, "seriously. No big deal." He finished his coffee and his lips curved. "However I'm surprised you still have your voice."

Heat shot up her neck. "Oh god." He was every bit like his son, enjoying watching her squirm. "John, I'm--"

"If you apologize to me again, I'll take back my coffee. You're good for Jon Callie. I don't think you realize how much."

She nodded, "I think I'm beginning to."

"And him for you."

Callie smiled, "most definitely. I don't think I'd be here doing all this, if I hadn't got so bored at the law function I was at and married your son. It was so ridiculous at the time, but it looks like it's going to work out."

"The best ones are at the time, and they do work out." He placed his mug down. "Can I give you a ride?"

"No, I'll just catch a taxi, it's not that far from here."

"Ok, let me at least call it for you. Help yourself to anything you want, I'll be right back."

"Thanks." How could they be so different than her parents? She had good parents, they always looked after her, they loved her but John and Carol were much more relaxed while still keeping the rule of thumb. She collected her things, wrapped her coat around herself and headed outside. Concentration was going to come at a premium today, her body ache and she would give a bunch of money to curl back up in bed. She turned as the front door opened behind her, expecting to see John Snr but it was Jon. Wrapped tight in a ridiculous blanket, his hair a wavy mess of curls.

"What in the hell are you doing?" She laughed as he opened the blanket and engulfed her inside.

"You didn't wake me. My woman doesn't leave me asleep." His lips met hers, the kiss relaxed and warm, so very them. Her hands cupped his neck as they took it deeper, the taste of musk and morning on his lips tingled in her toes.

"Your Dad knows what we did last night," she whispered.

"Baby, the whole neighbourhood does. Are you that loud in court?" His lips quirked and she smacked his chest.

"Do you know how embarrassing hearing from your father-in-law, I mean-" she laughed. It really did feel like they were married all over again, this time for real. She gripped the edges of the blanket. "It wasn't funny."

"I bet he thought it was,"

"As a matter of fact yes he did. You're going to get me into all kinds of trouble, aren't you?"

Jon kissed the top of her head and stood back as the taxi rolled up to the curb. "That's the plan."

Callie smiled. In all her life had she never expected to feel like this for someone. She opened the door of the taxi and paused, she turned and he lifted his brow.

She jerked him back and laid her lips on him, sliding her hands under the blanket, and over his shoulders. He groaned as her tongue slid into his mouth, and she let the blanket slip off his shoulders, tumbling to the ground.

His eyes popped open and he yelped, scooping the blanket up off the ground. "Fucking hell!"

The laugh bubbled in her throat. "So you do get embarrassed. Duly noted." She winked as she climbed into the car. His nose pressed up against the window.

"You are so going to pay."

"Sue me," she mouthed back as the taxi pulled away. She leaned back and closed her eyes, unable to stop the twitch on her lips. It was a good day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

of course his parents/father heard. At least he's welcoming of them being together. Oh I love her pay back to him.

Beth

norwichliz said...

I'd be looking for a hole to crawl into, and I'd never want to see them again! LOL

Glad she got a bit of payback on Jon though.

And when are they going to talk about getting remarried?

Jen said...

I think this is one of my favourite chapters so far!

Bayaderra said...

Short but satisfying! ;)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. I so missed reading this story. LOVE it. Please dont stop anytime soon! I am hoping they make it together!

Anonymous said...

HAha! Nice one Callie! I am ready for more! Keep writing, I love the story!

Judith said...

LMAO!!!!!